Tuesday, June 06, 2006

A Lamborghini in Greenwich Village?











I saw a Lamborghini Gallardo in the West Village the other day. It was silver, like the one pictured. I'd never seen one before, which is funny, because according to Wikipedia, it's the "most-produced model" yet. They made 3,000 of them in two years. Well, I was still dazzled. I even told my companion that it was a likely a half a million dollar car. Wikipedia calls it Lamborghini's "entry-level" model. It costs a mere $165,000. Audi/Volkswagen owns Lamborghini now, so the engine isn't even Italian. It's an Audi V-8 with two cylinders added.

Car & Driver loved it -- they called it the baby Lamborghini the car world had been waiting for, and praised Audi for making it possible. Car & Driver compares it to the Ferrari Modena, a smaller, V-8 Ferrari.

Here's a link to video of a BMW M3 racing a Ferrari Modena at night on a Turkish freeway. The camera is in the BMW. If you believe the video, they get up to 280 km/h (about 175 mph), which, according to Car & Driver, is the Ferrari's top speed. The Lamborghini will do 192 mph.

I've seen more exotic cars in New York in the last year than in my entire life. Still, it was strange to see an exotic sports car in what used to be such a bohemian neighborhood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter