Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Bush to Black People: Where's the Hand Sanitizer?



Watch President Bush shake hands with a Haitian, then wipe his hand off on President Clinton's shirt.

And as Gothamist points out, Bush seems to be at best a germophobe and at worst afraid of touching black people. Here, via ABC News blogs, is an excerpt from President Obama's book The Audacity of Hope. Obama is writing about how he, as a new senator, met Bush in the White House in 2005:
“Obama!” he said, shaking my hand. “Come here and meet Laura. Laura, you remember Obama. We saw him on TV during election night. Beautiful family. And that wife of yours – that’s one impressive lady.”

“We both got better than we deserve, Mr. President,” I said, shaking the First Lady’s hand and hoping that I’d wiped any crumbs off my face.

The president turned to an aide nearby, who squirted a big dollop of hand sanitizer in the president’s hand.

“Want some?” the president asked. “Good stuff. Keeps you from getting colds.” Not wanting to seem unhygienic, I took a squirt.

“Come over here for a second,” he said, leading me off to one side of the room.

“You know,” he said quietly, “I hope you don’t mind me giving you a piece of advice.”

“Not at all, Mr. President.” He nodded. “You’ve got a bright future,” he said. “Very bright. But I’ve been in this town a while and, let me tell you, it can be tough. When you get a lot of attention like you’ve been getting, people start gunnin’ for ya. And it won’t necessarily just be coming from my side, you understand. From yours, too. Everybody’ll be waiting for you to slip. Know what I mean? So watch yourself.”

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter