Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Oxford's Ten Most Irritating Phrases

To the following list of the ten most irritating phrases, compiled by Oxford University, I would add: It is what it is.
1 - At the end of the day

2 - Fairly unique

3 - I personally

4 - At this moment in time

5 - With all due respect

6 - Absolutely

7 - It's a nightmare

8 - Shouldn't of

9 - 24/7

10 - It's not rocket science
Any other candidates?

UPDATE: I would add the phrases "that said" and "I myself." Commenters have nominated "Frankly" (especially when uttered by politicians), "It's all good" and "Back in the day," and finally, the oh-so-grating academic cliche "What I find striking."

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's all good Harry, like back in the day.

12:09 AM  
Blogger Mr. Christopher said...

The phrase that I used to hear in grad school all the time was, "What I find striking..."

It was almost as irritating as those people who feel constantly compelled to allude to the fact that they were once in graduate school...

12:48 AM  
Blogger julie said...

"Frankly" when spoken by politician-types.

12:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about: In my humble opinion; whatever; you guys (I truly hate this "Friends" speak).

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about "...so to speak"

4:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Impact and impactful. These are increasingly being used in place of effect and affect. They are lazy, clumsy, and simply wrong.

2:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"On the ground"- from pundits.

"On tap"- from television weatherpersons.

9:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Fair enough"?

2:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How about, "The truth of the matter is ..." -- really tired of hearing that!

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Doug said...

"That being said"

"With all due respect" Thank you Ricky Bobby- Will Ferrel for outing these ridiculous four words.

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter